Facebook

See my Facebook Page - John Wright @ Facebook.com

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Sports Media

I used to watch a lot of sports, any kind, any time, but now, I limit my watching. I believe part of the reason I cut back so much is the media coverage.

When I watch an event, I simply want to see the happenings and have an announcer to fill in the gaps. Occasionally, odd things happen and it does help to have a knowledgeable person to explain the fine points of rulings. It is also nice to have a 'color commentator' expound on strategy and technique, to a limited degree.

What I do not like is the constant chatter, multiple replays in slow motion and stop frame. Nor, do I care for a continuous stream of information about the athletes, their personal lives, the size of their contracts, their relationships on and off the field. If I wanted such facts, I would subscribe to one of the countless sports magazines.

I do not know, or care, how Tiger Woods rotates his wrists to make the ball draw or how a pitcher grips his version of a sinker. Just let me see the game unfold.

Also, I get annoyed by the announcers' tendency to make the whole thing overly dramatic. Every game is not life or death. Actually, none of them are. Exciting? Yes. Tense? Yes. Apocalyptic? No.
If a team loses or a player misses a putt, life will go on. They are just games and, if you live or die by the results, you may want to consider finding yourself a real life.

I enjoy watching the various strategies of players unfold. I enjoy seeing the athletic skill and grace of fine players. I can get that without announcers babbling on and on incessantly. Just show the game and fill in a few details and make a clever witty comment or two. If the game is worth watching, it will sell itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment