Facebook

See my Facebook Page - John Wright @ Facebook.com

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Beauty and Fun for Humans


Like most folks, I love books, movies, TV, music, games and sports. I have become a bit disenchanted with modern trends in all 6 of those categories, but, there is no reason to abandon those pastimes.

I am not by nature a very nostalgic person , but I recognise quality. I find present day entertainment lacking in quality but, I tend to think of this as, at most, an annouing trend. By examining the past, I believe we can find a way out of the current sludge that we are fed by the various media and start something of a new era, one not clinging to the past, but rooted there,

Human society is created by building on the past, adapting it to aquired knowledge and producing a synthesis. We seem to currently be trying to completely abandon all past value in an effort to create some kind of new techno-society. In a sense, that is succeeding, but it does not lead to a new beauty, a new quality. Instead, we are creating some sort of mechanical world. The Singularity that people like Ray Kurtzweil babble about may be near and if it is, count me out.

I like entertainment that stresses humanity. The books of Twain and Poe and Dickens, the music of Robert Johnson and Bob Dylan, the movies of John Ford and Robert Altman. I like games where people interact directly with each other, not through game consoles. I like sports where skills other than raw power are valued.

In this blog, I am going to give into nostalgia, a bit, in order to remind folks that there was a time when humans and their stories were of the greatest value. Those of my era may find some pleasure in remembering some of the things I will mention. Those younger may be inspired to look at the past. I hope so because I would hate to see so much of value, so much beauty, lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment